Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Make Your Burgers Better

I love a good burger, but with the recent scare of tainted meat (see 1 Million Pounds of Ground Beef Recalled), I think it's best to stick with ground turkey or organic, grass-fed beef.  Turkey can be boring, like really boring, so I like to create delicious ways to enjoy it more in burger form.
  
I went to my friend's house today for some poolside catching-up and brought over the tried and true Greek Turkey Burgers.  I've not met a person yet who doesn't like this recipe.  Try it and you'll love it.  I promise.


Greek Turkey Burgers


1 pound lean ground turkey (do NOT buy the extra lean unless you like eating sawdust)
6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, just until they are all incorporated.  Don't over-mix as meat will get tough when cooking.  Let meat rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to let the flavors combine.


Preheat grill (or pan) on medium heat.  Form four patties of equal size. Cook burgers thoroughly, about 7 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.


Ground meats are such empty canvases, so experiment with whatever flavors you like.  Drop me a comment if you have a great burger recipe to share!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE TURKEY BURGERS. This one sounds simply fantastic. I will have to try it, STAT.

    I make mine with Grandma's homemade BBQ sauce recipe. I mix it in with the meat, along with some garlic, breadcrumbs, eggbeaters and done! It's delish.

    ReplyDelete